Space-Based Images Depict Iran's Navy and Atomic Locations Damaged by US-Israeli Strikes.
A series of joint strikes has according to analysis eliminated or harmed a minimum of eleven warships belonging to Iran starting the weekend, recently obtained aerial photos show, with rocket sites and atomic facilities also coming under fire.
Photographs of the southerly Konarak naval naval base and the Bandar Abbas port facility, which sits on the strategic Hormuz Strait and houses the main command of the Iranian navy, depict smoke billowing from a number of warships on Monday and Tuesday.
Maritime Forces Sustained Major Damage
Included in the targets eliminated was the Makran, the country's most sizable ship which had served as a drone carrier. Satellite images showed thick smoke emanating from the ship which had been moored at the Bandar Abbas base.
Intelligence evaluations state that no fewer than five vessels at the port were "hit or sunk". Photos of the south end of the port depict plumes ascending from the IRINS Makran, while another pair of vessels are visibly harmed, with one visibly ablaze.
At the Konarak base, images display several damaged vessels, with expert review identifying impacts on a half-dozen warships. Images taken on Monday also indicate that multiple buildings at the base have been destroyed.
"For many years the Iran's leadership has disrupted global maritime traffic," the head of US Central Command said. "Today, there is not a single Iranian ship underway in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz or Sea of Oman, and we will continue."
A number of vessels reportedly destroyed may have been concealed in satellite images by cloud or smoke, or struck at sea, and have not been conclusively proven. Separate reports suggested that one Iranian ship was foundering near Sri Lanka's waters, leading to a search and rescue mission.
Rocket Sites and Nuclear Facilities Hit
Neutralizing Tehran's launch facilities and the stopping atomic bomb programs were declared as additional goals of the offensive. Satellite images also revealed impacts against the southern Khorgu and north-western Tabriz missile facilities, and at the Konarak base, where weapons bunkers and bunkers were hit.
Over at the Choqa Balk-e unmanned aircraft site west of Kermanshah, widespread destruction was identified to sheds, underground facilities and drone launch equipment.
Impact was also noted at a surveillance station at the Zahedan airbase military airport in eastern Iran, close to the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Of particular note, the most recent series of strikes have apparently hit installations at the Natanz complex – long said to be at the core of Iran's nuclear programme. An international watchdog stated that the affected structures were used for access to the site's below-ground nuclear plant and that "no release of radioactive material" was anticipated.
Broader Consequences and Analysis
Observers suggested that the offensive appeared to have "largely neutralized" the Iranian navy's capacity to carry out conventional attacks using its biggest warships. However, it was noted that Tehran maintains the capacity to launch unconventional attacks at sea through the use of drones, mini-submarines and its so-called "shadow fleet" of oil ships.
The overall extent of the damage caused to Iranian military infrastructure is still uncertain, with hostilities said to be continuing. Imagery also indicates considerable destruction to the main offices of the the IRGC in the capital Tehran.
Numerous of non-military structures also appear to have been struck in the capital and throughout Iran after the fighting escalated. Toll estimates from inside Iran indicate that hundreds of civilians may have been fatally injured in the bombardment.
With the conflict ongoing, monitoring of satellite imagery will continue to assess the unfolding battlefield picture.